Trump announces executive order to ban TikTok
President Donald Trump on Friday told reporters he will act as soon as Saturday to ban Chinese-owned video app TikTok from the United States, according to NBC News.
“As far as TikTok is concerned we’re banning them from the United States,” Trump said.
According to NBC, Chinese company ByteDance launched TikTok in 2017. The app has grown more popular during the coronavirus pandemic, with 2 billion downloads in April, according to Sensor Tower. Competitors include Facebook and Snap.
ByteDance investors seeking to take over TikTok have valued it at $50 billion, Reuters reported earlier this week.
Microsoft declined to comment on the talks, which were first reported by Fox Business Network.